- William Henry Harrison and his wife, Anna, had been married the longest when he was sworn-in at 45 years, 102 days.
- John F. Kennedy and his wife, Jackie, had been married for the shortest period when he was inaugurated at 7 years 130 days, unless you count...
- ...Grover Cleveland and his wife, Frances, who married during his first term. For his second of two non-consecutive inaugurations they had been married for 6 years 275 days.
- Four presidents were widowers when they took office.
- John Tyler and Woodrow Wilson became widowers during their terms and remarried before leaving office.
- Benjamin Harrison became a widower while in office and remarried after leaving office.
- James Buchanan never married.
|Rank||#||President||Length of Marriage at Inauguration|
|1||9||William Henry Harrison||45 years 134 days|
|2||41||George H. W. Bush||44 years 14 days|
|3||46||Joe Biden||43 years 217 days|
|4||12||Zachary Taylor||38 years 256 days|
|5||17||Andrew Johnson||37 years 334 days|
|6||34||Dwight D. Eisenhower||36 years 203 days|
|7||23||Benjamin Harrison||35 years 135 days|
|8||2||John Adams||32 years 130 days|
|9||5||James Monroe||31 years 16 days|
|10||39||Jimmy Carter||30 years 197 days|
|11||1||George Washington||30 years 114 days|
|12||31||Herbert Hoover||30 years 22 days|
|13||29||Warren G. Harding||29 years 239 days|
|14||36||Lyndon B. Johnson||29 years 5 days|
|15||40||Ronald Reagan||28 years 322 days|
|16||37||Richard M. Nixon||28 years 213 days|
|17||10||John Tyler||28 years 165 days|
|18||32||Franklin D. Roosevelt||27 years 352 days|
|19||28||Woodrow Wilson||27 years 253 days|
|20||6||John Quincy Adams||27 years 221 days|
|21||25||William McKinley||26 years 38 days|
|22||38||Gerald R. Ford||25 years 298 days|
|23||33||Harry S. Truman||25 years 289 days|
|24||13||Millard Fillmore||24 years 154 days|
|25||19||Rutherford B. Hayes||24 years 64 days|
|26||43||George W. Bush||23 years 76 days|
|27||27||William H. Taft||22 years 258 days|
|28||20||James A. Garfield||22 years 113 days|
|29||11||James K. Polk||21 years 63 days|
|30||18||Ulysses S. Grant||20 years 194 days|
|31||16||Abraham Lincoln||18 years 120 days|
|32||14||Franklin Pierce||18 years 105 days|
|33||30||Calvin Coolidge||17 years 302 days|
|34||42||Bill Clinton||17 years 101 days|
|35||44||Barack Obama||16 years 110 days|
|36||26||Theodore Roosevelt||14 years 286 days|
|37||4||James Madison||14 years 171 days|
|38||45||Donald J. Trump||13 years 254 days|
|39||35||John F. Kennedy||7 years 130 days|
|40||24||Grover Cleveland||6 years 275 days|
|-||8||Martin Van Buren||Widowed|
|-||21||Chester A. Arthur||Widowed|
Return to Presidential Facts