Links immediately following the image of the American Flag () are links to other POTUS sites.
All other links lead to sites elsewhere on the Web.
Jump to: Presidential Election Results | Cabinet Members | Notable Events | Internet Biographies | Historical Documents | Other Internet Resources | Points of Interest
Chester Alan Arthur
21st President of the United States
(September 19, 1881 to March 3, 1885)
Nickname: "The Gentleman Boss"; "Elegant Arthur"
Born: October 5, 1829, in Fairfield, Vermont
Died: November 18, 1886, in New York, New York
Father: William Arthur
Mother: Malvina Stone Arthur
Married: Ellen Lewis Herndon (1837-1880), on October 25, 1859
Children: William Lewis Herndon Arthur (1860-63); Chester Alan Arthur (1864-1937); Ellen Herndon Arthur (1871-1915)
Education: Graduated from Union College (1848)
Political Party: Republican
Other Government Positions:
Presidential Salary: $50,000/year
Presidential Election Results:
|Never ran for president.
Vice President: None
- Secretary of State
- James G. Blaine (1881)
- Frederick T. Frelinghuysen (1881-85)
- Secretary of the Treasury
- William Windom (1881)
- Charles J. Folger (1881-84)
- Walter Q. Gresham (1884)
- Hugh McCulloch (1884-85)
- Secretary of War
- Robert Todd Lincoln (1881-85)
- Attorney General
- I. Wayne McVeagh (1881)
- Benjamin H. Brewster (1882-85)
- Postmaster General
- Thomas L. James (1881-82)
- Timothy O. Howe (1882-83)
- Walter Q. Gresham (1883-84)
- Frank Hatton (1884-85)
- Secretary of the Navy
- William H. Hunt (1881-82)
- William E. Chandler (1882-85)
- Secretary of the Interior
- Samuel J. Kirkwood (1881-82)
- Henry M. Teller (1882-85)
- Chester A. Arthur -- from The Presidents of the United States of America
- Compiled by the White House.
- Chester A. Arthur -- from Table of Presidents and Vice Presidents of the United States - MSN Encarta
- Grolier Online has created this resource from its collection of print articles in Encyclopedia Americana. Contains a full biography, written by Stefan Lorant, author of The Presidency: A Pictorial History of Presidential Elections from Washington to Truman, along with suggestions for further reading.
- Chester A. Arthur -- from The American President
- From the Miller Center of Public Affairs at the University of Virginia, in addition to information on the Presidents themselves, they have first lady and cabinet member biographies, listings of presidential staff and advisers, and timelines detailing significant events in the lives of each administration.
- News of Chester Arthur's Death -- from Dead Presidents
- The text from page 1 of The New York Times, November 19, 1886. Placed on the web by Manus Hand.
- Chester A. Arthur -- from the Hall of Forgotten Presidents
- Arthur should not be forgotten.
Other Internet Resources:
Points of Interest:
Previous President: James Abram Garfield | Next President: Grover Cleveland
Return to POTUS Index
Last Updated January 20, 2017
©1996-2017. Robert S. Summers. All rights reserved.